If you remember a while back we had New Deal software
in to show their amazing product called New Deal Office
97. If you can also remember they all worked on a 286 and
provided a feature rich GUI interface and an excellent
suite of products which worked quite well with one
another. At that time there was a hint that Internet
browsing might be possible. They haven't let you down.
Yes it is true!
Not the fastest browser around but hey, this works! I
loaded New Deal Office 98 on my trusty old 286 and with
very little configuration was able to dial up my ISP and
browse the net with a browser named Skipper. It only
supports HTML version 2.0 and some of the graphic rich
sites didn't appear the same as they would normally using
a Netscape or IE, but none the less, the performance was
good. Actually, INCREDIBLE, if you consider it was a 286
with a dual twist plasma display. It worked much better
when I hooked up a 14,400 modem instead of using the 9600
baud modem that I tried initially. On a test 486DX2-66
with a 28.8 modem, browsing was quite acceptable. I then
loaded New Deal Office 98 on my Pentium and 56K US
Robotics X/2 modem and browsing didn't go any faster at
In writing this review I am using NewWrite while
listening to the CD-ROM play music. I imported the
following list of new features from files saved on my
server over my network. New Deal Office saw ALL of the
available network drives. I didn't ask it to... it just
did it. How about that! Anyway here's that list of new
features (and I quote):
- Internet Browser - HTML 2.0, drag & drop (Even
on those old 286's!)
- NewBanker - a full featured banking application -
keep track of your money!
- CD Player - play your favorite musical CD on your
- Configure - customize the look & feel of your
- File Finder - a small utility to help you find
lost documents. A real life saver.
- Media Viewer - view all your graphics with this
easy-to-use powerful application.
- Directory Lister - list all your files with this
neat little application.
- Crossword Puzzle - another fun filled game for
the whole family
- RTF filter - Import/export more documents to and
from Windows & Mac applications
- HTML importing filter - Import HTML documents
from the Internet
- JPEG filter - Import/export JPEG graphics
- New Video Drivers - Go all the way to 16 million
colors in 1280x1024 resolution.
- New Printer Drivers - Support for many new color
printers. Ask about yours.
- Sound Blaster Driver
- 100% document compatible with previous versions.
- Office Templates and Clip Art included.
- New 300 page printed manual included.
- plus many more new features...
New Deal Office 98 offers the same user-friendly
benefits of previous versions and those of Geoworks
Ensemble. So if you were waiting to upgrade to that
Pentium II 300MHz so that you could browse the Internet,
wait no longer. It is possible; it is now; even on a 286.
One of the shortcomings of previous versions of the
program was that it saved its files in a propriety file
format. Well no longer. As soon as I am finished this
review I shall save it on another network drive. Export
choices include a variety of popular word processors as
well as RTF 0 and 1 as well as several versions of Word
All in all, one amazing product that performs very
well on any of the Intel family of processors from a 286
on up to the latest model. It outperforms many of the
existing suites today while maintaining a pleasant user
interface. It also goes a long way to extend the life of
older machines while providing a feature rich GUI
interface. Check out their website at: http://www.newdealinc.com
New Deal Office 98 (Proprietary)
New Deal Inc.
P.O. Box 965, Pointe-Claire, QC H9R 4R6
Tel: (514) 633-6370
(800) 985-4263 ext 553
Fax: (514) 633-6315
Originally published: February, 1998